GKI Foods, a private-label candy and granola manufacturer located in Brighton, Michigan, issued a recall of its Dark Chocolate products after it was discovered they contained milk.
Milk was not declared by GKI Foods on the packaging when distributed, so these products pose a danger of a potentially fatal reaction if consumed by those with milk allergies.
Dark Chocolate Products were distributed in 27 states and they reached consumers through distributors and retail stores. These products are packaged in plastic hanging and stand-up bags, plastic tubs, and cardboard boxes. No Illnesses have been reported to date.
Consumers who have purchased these products are asked to return them to the place of purchase. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 248-486-0055.
“Private label” refers to a product line that is manufactured by one company for sale under the name of another, making this recall especially problematic.
According to David J Neal of the Miami Herald, the original recall issued by GKI resulted in the following recalls by the companies that relabel the product under their own brands:
- GKI Foods recalled its Dark Chocolate products, including Almond, Almond Bark, Banana Chips, Blueberries, Cashews, Cherries, Coconut, Coconut Almonds Coffee Beans, Cranberries, Ginger, Ginger Snap Cookies, Peanuts, Pecans, Pineapple, Powerberry, Pretzel Balls, Raisins, Strawberries and Turbinado Sea Salt Almonds.
- Meijer, the 235-store supermarket-retail store chain in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin, recalled 18-ounce containners of Meijer Bulk Dark Chocolate Coffee Beans, Meijer Bulk Dark Chocolate Almonds and Meijer Bulk Dark Chocolate Cashews. Meijer customers with questions can call 1-800-543-3704, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Wegmans supermarket chain in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia recalled Wegmans Dark Chocolate Almonds in a 23-ounce tub; Wegmans Dark Chocolate Almonds in a 11.5-ounce tub; Wegmans Dark Chocolate Almonds with Sea Salt and Turbinado Sugar in a 12-ounce tub; Wegmans Dark Chocolate Cherry-Infused Cranberries in a 12-ounce tub; and Wegmans Dark Chocolate Strawberries in a 13.5-ounce tub.
- Also recalled were Dark Chocolate Coffee Beans, Dark Chocolate Almonds and Dark Chocolate Coffee Beans sold loose in self-serve bins at Wegmans, as well as Dryden, New Brighton Food Land, Punxsutawney Country Market, Trumansburg Shur Save, Giant Food Store, Giant Food Mart, Martin’s Food Market, Stop N Shop and Orchard Fresh.
- Circle K stores recalled 3.25-ounce bags of Circle K Favorites Dark Chocolate Almonds.
- Alpine Valley Dark Chocolate Almonds in an 11.5-ounce tub.
- Tops Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds in an 11.5-ounce tub and Dark Chocolate Coffee Beans in a 12-ounce tub.
- 7 Select Dark Chocolate Turbinado Almonds with Sea Salt in a 2.25-ounce bag.
Please return affected products to the place of purchase.