On February 23rd at this year’s annual meeting of the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) in Houston, a study was presented regarding incidence of anaphylaxis in schools during the 2013-2014 school year, confirming the need for stock epinephrine.
Of 5683 schools that responded to the study survey, a total of 919 anaphylactic events were reported by 11% of the schools. Here’s a quick breakdown:
A study of 102 patients enrolled from adult and pediatric clinics showed that only 16% used their epinephrine auto-injectors correctly. Of the remaining 84%, more than half missed 3 or more steps for proper administration.
The most common errors included:
- Failure to hold the unit in place for at least 10 seconds after triggering
- Failure to place the needle end of the device on the thigh, and
- Failure to depress the device forcefully enough to activate the injection.
Mylan Inc, marketers of the Epipen® brand of epinephrine auto-injectors, have announced a multi-year strategic alliance with Disney Parks and Resorts to help increase awareness of anaphylaxis.
The agreement will facilitate the roll-out of stock epinephrine stations at Disney parks and cruise ships toward the end of 2014. Along with the roll-out, nurses and first aid personnel will receive training in the recognition of symptoms of anaphylaxis and the administration of epinephrine. Signage identifying nearby Epipen stations will be deployed as well.
The manufacturer of Epipen brand auto-injectors has introduced a new $0 Co-Pay Card which will reimburse eligible participants for a portion of their out-of-pocket expenses. The program provides a great benefit for those families that require multiple auto-injectors, such as for home, school, day-care, etc.
Subscribe via E-MailSubscribe for 2-3 email updates per month and never miss an advisory! Unsubscribe at any time. We pledge never to share your address.
Articles by Category
Articles by TagAllergence allergen safe snack list anaphylaxis auto-injector child classroom clinical study cross-contamination death egg free emergency action plan Enjoy Life Foods epinephrine FALCPA FARE flyer food allergies food allergy statistics Food and Drug Administration (FDA) food bans food labels kindergarten legislation major food allergens Manufacturer Partnership Program nurse parenting strategy peanut butter ban peanut free peanuts petition preschool principal Safe Snack Guide school School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act school policies SnackSafely.com stock epinephrine legislation study Take 2 Campaign teacher tragedy tree nut free update
Articles by Month