Important note: This article is intended for those who understand vaccines as critical to maintaining their health and that of their families. It is NOT intended for those who are anti-vaccine and as such is NOT intended to foster a discussion on the merits of vaccines in this forum. It is also NOT intended to foster a discussion of the lethality of COVID-19 or the need for civic action to limit the spread of the disease.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) issued guidance this weekend stating that Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine is safe for those who are not allergic to any of its components and have not had prior reactions to vaccines or injectable drugs. That left many in the food allergy community to ponder what the ingredients of the vaccine are.
In a letter to the Food and Drug Administration dated Friday, Pfizer disclosed the ingredients of the vaccine which has been approved for distribution by the FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization. We list the ingredients here ordered according to ingredient type for those concerned with food or drug allergies.
Ingredients of Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine
- 30 mcg nucleoside modified messenger RNA (modRNA) encoding the viral spike glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2.
- 0.43 mg (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate)
- 0.05 mg 2[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide
- 0.09 mg 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine
- 0.2 mg cholesterol
- 0.01 mg potassium chloride
- 0.01 mg monobasic potassium phosphate
- 0.36 mg sodium chloride
- 0.07 mg dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate
- 6 mg sucrose