Brittany Mahomes, co-owner of the Kansas City Current soccer team and wife of Kansas City Chiefs star quarterback Patrick Mahomes, took to Instagram on Thursday to tell followers of her harrowing trip to the emergency room with their eight-month-old son, Bronze.
“We took a very scary and frantic trip to the ER yesterday after finding out this guy is highly highly allergic to peanuts,” she wrote. “The scariest 30 min of my life.”
Patrick “Bronze” Lavon Mahomes III, was born in November and has a two-year-old sister Sterling.
In a 2021 interview with Men’s Health, dad Patrick Mahomes told the magazine he had tested positive for allergy to most tree nuts.
Individuals diagnosed with food allergies must be vigilant in avoiding their trigger allergens, although there are treatments that can lessen or eliminate the danger of inadvertent exposure.
A recent study published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology: In Practice indicates that peanut oral immunotherapy, where increasing doses of peanut protein are ingested by the patient, is safe and effective for infants under 12 months of age.
Bronze likely suffered anaphylaxis, a severe, life-threatening reaction to a food, drug, insect venom or environmental substance. The only drug that can halt and reverse the progression of anaphylaxis is epinephrine.
It is likely that Ms Mahomes was prescribed an epinephrine auto-injector for her son to be used in case of exposure.
Individuals who are prescribed epinephrine should always carry two auto-injectors everywhere, every time and administer the first and call emergency services as soon as they suspect anaphylaxis.