Despite 92 co-sponsors in the House and 38 in the Senate, the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act – introduced in 2001 by Senator Dick Durban (D-TN) and Representative David Roe (R-TN) – has stalled in committee.
Tanner Henstra, an 11 year old boy from St George, Utah, died of complications from anaphylaxis last week after accidentally placing a peanut butter filled pretzel in his mouth at a friend’s house. Though he immediately realized his error and spit the treat out without swallowing it, the exposure was enough to trigger the onset of anaphylaxis.
Please note that we have removed three items from our Safe Snack Guide and have confirmed the safety of a fourth.
An interview with Dr Kari Nadeu, Director of the Stanford Alliance for Food Allergy Research (SAFAR) at the Stanford University School of Medicine, aired this evening on the NPR radio show “Fresh Air” hosted by Terry Gross. The 14+ minute interview covered a range of topics including the explosion in the incidence of food allergies and epigenetics, the study of gene expression caused by outside factors in the environment.
An 8 year old Monmouth County, NJ boy died this morning of an apparent anaphylactic reaction.
The boy, his mother and two other children had left a Princeton church service and stopped at a Starbucks along the way. It is not known whether the boy, who had a known allergy to milk, may have mistakenly drank from the wrong cup.