Allergic Living has posted an excellent article in response to the tragic death of Natalie Giorgi, the 13 year old girl who suffered a fatal bout of anaphylaxis after biting into a treat made with peanut butter.
The article provides commentary from two authorities in the field of allergy: Dr Robert Wood, Director of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology at the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center in Baltimore, and Dr. Susan Waserman, an allergist and professor of medicine at McMaster University in Canada. Both doctors provide their views regarding why three doses of epinephrine failed to save Natalie and both give advice on how to treat possible exposures moving forward.
In the wake of Natalie’s death, parents have been confused regarding when to administer epinephrine and there has been much speculation regarding the proper administration of antihistamines. We encourage all parents of children with food allergies to read the article on the Allergic Living site by clicking here, then discuss the article with their child’s physician.
- Update to Natalie Giorgi Tragedy
This is an update to our previous story regarding the tragic death of 13-year-old Natalie Giorgi, who accidentally ingested a treat containing peanut butter and suffered a fatal bout of anaphylaxis....
- Allergic Living Explores Dust Link to Peanut Allergy
The exclusive interview with Dr Brough is a must read for anyone concerned with food allergies, especially families with young children with eczema....
- Anaphylaxis Claims 13 Year Old Girl at Campsite
13-year-old Natalie Giorgi died after accidentally ingesting a treat containing peanut butter at a campsite celebration....
- Lessons to be Learned from the Connor Donaldson Inquest
The loss is yet another in a long line of horrific, preventable tragedies, but there are lessons to be learned from the details of the child's exposure and the subsequent attempts at first aid....
- Lessons to be learned from the William Luckett Inquest
Once again, world attention is focused on the story of a 15 year old boy from the UK who died of peanut cross-contact. Rather than focus solely on the incident itself, we’ll highlight common sense strategies to help avoid tragedies like this in the first place. Background ...
Subscribe via E-MailSubscribe for 2-3 email updates per month and never miss an advisory! Unsubscribe at any time. We pledge never to share your address.
Articles by Category
Articles by TagAllergence allergen safe snack list anaphylaxis auto-injector child classroom clinical study cross-contamination death egg free emergency action plan Enjoy Life Foods epinephrine FALCPA FARE flyer food allergies food allergy statistics Food and Drug Administration (FDA) food bans food labels kindergarten legislation major food allergens Manufacturer Partnership Program nurse parenting strategy peanut butter ban peanut free peanuts petition preschool principal Safe Snack Guide school School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act school policies SnackSafely.com stock epinephrine legislation study Take 2 Campaign teacher tragedy tree nut free update
Articles by Month