ABC News issued this harrowing report of a 28 year-old woman who suffered anaphylactic shock Saturday on a flight from Philadelphia to Cleveland where she was traveling for treatment of eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA), a rare, autoimmune disease.
After eating a bag of chips, Ashley Spencer, who suffers from a peanut allergy, began experiencing symptoms of anaphylaxis and subsequently stopped breathing.
Flight attendants called out to passengers seeking medical help. Dr Erich Kiehl a fellow at the Cleveland Clinic that so happened to be Spencer’s destination, and another doctor attended to her. Kiehl administered four EpiPens to Spencer during the course of the episode.
Quick thinking by the doctors likely saved Spencer’s life.
Here is ABC TV’s report of the incident: