A woman hiking along the Clevenger Trail in the San Pasqual Valley was airlifted by helicopter after being stung by a bee.
“The woman had a history of allergic reaction to bees and carried an EpiPen with her on the hike,” said Cal Fire PIO Thomas Shoots to the Times of San Diego. “She was hiking with a friend who contacted 911 after she was stung. She was located by ground resources and rescued from the trail by a helicopter.”
After evacuation from the trail, the woman was transported by ground ambulance to Palomar Medical Center Escondido for treatment.
We presume the woman or her friend administered her EpiPen, a brand of epinephrine auto-injector. Epinephrine is the only drug that can halt the progression of anaphylaxis, a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. Prompt administration of epinephrine as soon as anaphylaxis is suspected leads to better outcomes.