Home Legislation Virginia Epinephrine Law May Have Saved Student's Life

Virginia Epinephrine Law May Have Saved Student's Life

-

WTVR reports that a Virginia epinephrine law and quick thinking on the part of a school district official may have saved a student’s life.

15-year-old Luis Rodriguez Jr was riding the school bus last Friday when he began experiencing symptoms of anaphylaxis as the result of a bee sting. Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that can result in vomiting, asphyxiation, unconsciousness and death.

Prince George County Schools Health Services Coordinator Teresa Isom received a call that the student was in distress and realized the bus was in her vicinity. She grabbed a pack of epinephrine auto-injectors and raced to the bus.

Isom administered two doses of epinephrine before the ambulance arrived to take Rodriguez to the hospital. The second dose was administered as directed after the first failed to relieve his symptoms. Isom’s training, quick response, and her access to epinephrine may have Rodriguez’s life.

The Virginia law enables schools to stock emergency doses of epinephrine and indemnifies trained individuals from liability when administering epinephrine in good faith.

We at SnackSafely.com urge you to contact your congressional representatives to voice your support for the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act, which would encourage more states to adopt similar laws.

Print or share this article

Click to visit sponsor
Dave Bloom
Dave Bloom is CEO and "Blogger in Chief" of SnackSafely.com.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.