A Wisconsin state senate committee heard details of a proposal to expand “Dillon’s Law”, originally passed in 2017. The law, named for 18-year-old Dillon Mueller who died of anaphylaxis resulting from a bee sting in 2014, allows trained individuals to acquire and maintain a supply of epinephrine auto-injectors by prescription which they can then provide or administer to a person they believe is experiencing anaphylaxis.
The proposed expansion would allow those that have been trained to acquire epinephrine without the prescription.
During the proceedings, Angel Mueller, Dillon’s mother, said that at the time no one knew Dillon was allergic to bee venom. “Nobody had an Epi-Pen, not even the volunteer first responders,” Mueller recalled.
She went on to say:
With Dillon’s law 2.0, folks can take our free training, which is only an hour, and take their certificate to the pharmacy with that standing order and have that epinephrine auto-injector — or epinephrine, any FDA-approved — given to them by the pharmacy that they can have in their first aid kit that day to save a life. Dillon did not have that opportunity.
Since Dillon’s passing, his mother and father, George Mueller, have been tireless advocates for legislative change to make epinephrine more easily available and to train more individuals to recognize the signs of anaphylaxis and to administer the drug.
State Senator Andre Jacque was the impetus behind the original Dillon’s Law when he was a state assemblyman. He is now the main author of the legislation that would provide for this expansion.
Here is a November WFRV-TV interview with the Muellers describing their efforts to expand Dillon’s Law which they say has already saved seven lives: