In yet another horrific tragedy that could have been avoided, 14 year old Emma Sloan died on the streets of Dublin Wednesday after ingesting a sauce containing peanuts at a restaurant.
Emma, who had a known peanut allergy, was having dinner with her family at Jimmy Chung’s Chinese buffet in Dublin’s Eden Quay. Emma’s mother Caroline explains what happened in this quote from the Irish Independent:
“Emma has always been very careful and would check the ingredients of every chocolate bar and other foods to be sure they didn’t contain nuts. She had a satay sauce. She thought it was curry sauce because it looked like curry sauce and smelt like curry.
“I’m not blaming the restaurant because there was a sign saying ‘nuts contained’, but it wasn’t noticed. After a while, Emma began to say, ‘I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe’.”
On Tuesday, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder signed bills into law paving the way for epinephrine auto-injectors to be stocked at public schools throughout the state beginning with the 2014-2015 school year.
Taken together, House Bills 4352 and 4353 provide for the following:
Reports of Pro-Bowl Linebacker Adrian Peterson’s 2011 bout of anaphylaxis are making the rounds again. While we applaud Peterson’s advocacy, let’s take the opportunity to recap what we learned.
Peterson, who had no prior history of shellfish allergy, ate a bowl of seafood gumbo for lunch during training camp. About 30 minutes later, he began experiencing classic symptoms of anaphylaxis: itchiness and swelling of the eyes and swelling of his throat resulting in difficulty breathing. He called his trainer who recognized the symptoms and immediately administered epinephrine from an auto-injector he kept on-hand.
A terrific article by John Kruzel written as an open letter to Malia Obama was published on Slate.com. The piece, entitled The Patron Saint of Peanut Allergies, is an entreaty to Ms Obama – who herself suffers from peanut allergy – to encourage her father to capitalize on the momentum created by his signing of the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act to make the eradication of food allergy a top priority of his administration.
Siddharth Mallick of Houston, TX – a fellow member of the No Nuts Moms Group – sent us the following petition he authored and asked us to post it. We love the sentiment, the way it gently makes reference to Malia Obama’s peanut allergy, and the way it capitalizes on the current momentum following the signing of the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act.
Culminating two years of effort, the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act was signed into law today by President Obama. The legislation, pioneered by Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE), provides incentives to the individual states to enact “stock” epinephrine laws and the requisite Good Samaritan laws designed to shield well-meaning individuals from liability in the event they administer epinephrine to someone experiencing symptoms of anaphylaxis.
Stock epinephrine refers to epinephrine auto-injectors stocked without a specific prescription for emergency use on anyone experiencing a serious allergic reaction. Many such reactions occur in school settings where a significant percentage are suffered by children that have no prior diagnosis of allergy.
The School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act was passed by the full Senate today, one day after clearing the Senate Health Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.
The legislation, which was passed by the House of Representatives in July, now heads to the President’s desk for signature into law. It provides incentives for states to adopt “stock” epinephrine laws that allow schools to keep doses of the lifesaving drug on-hand for use should a student shows signs of anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction. The legislation also encourages the adoption of “Good Samaritan” laws to shield those that administer the epinephrine from liability.
The School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act has cleared another legislative hurdle having received approval from the Senate Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee. It now moves on to a vote by the full Senate and, assuming it passes as expected, moves on to the president for his signature as the final step to becoming law.
Powered by WPNewsman
Articles by Category
Articles by Tagallergen safe snack list Americans with Disabilities Act anaphylaxis auto-injector child classroom clinical study cross-contamination death donate egg free emergency action plan epinephrine FALCPA FARE flyer food allergies food allergy statistics food bans food labels kindergarten legislation major food allergens Manufacturer Partnership Program Natalie Giorgi nurse parenting strategy peanut butter ban peanut free peanuts petition preschool principal Safe Snack Guide school School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act school policies Section 504 SnackSafely.com study superintendent teacher tragedy tree nut free update
Articles by Month
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011