This article highlights a resource that provides inspiration and valuable services to the food allergy community. We pledged to highlight 17 such resources for End Allergies Together's 2016 #DoYour17 campaign. You can still consider sponsoring our effort with a pledge. E-A-T is underwriting all costs so 100% of your donation goes toward funding research into a cure for food allergy.
Lisa Rutter originally started the No Nuts Moms Group (NNMG) in 2011 as a local playgroup where kids with peanut and tree nut allergies (like her son) could play together in a safe environment and their moms could socialize, swap stories and lend support to each other. It has since grown into a nationwide phenomenon.
There are local NNMG chapters throughout the US – and even the UK and Australia – each with a leader and a corresponding group on Facebook where you can make contact with local moms and share insights and experiences. Many are coping with a number of food allergies.
In addition, there are two other NNMG resources you will find useful: a NNMG Facebook page, curated by Lisa that provides topical postings related to all things food allergies, and the No Nuts Moms Group Support Group and Forum, a Facebook chat group that provides an open forum for questions, discussion of topical issues, and support.
You can find our 2013 article on Lisa and the No Nuts Moms Group by clicking here.
You can find No Nuts Moms Group’s website at nonutsmomsgroup.weebly.com.
Other food allergy resource highlights in this series:
- Nut Free Wok by Sharon Wong
- No Nuts Moms Group by Lisa Rutter
- Go Dairy Free by Alisa Fleming
- Grateful Foodie by Caroline Moassessi
- Robynobrien.com by Robyn O'Brien
- Preschool Food Allergy Handbook by Lee and Francoeur
- Keeley McGuire Blog by Keeley McGuire
- Nutley the Nut-Free Squirrel by Stephanie Sorkin
- The Stepping Stones to Food Allergies by Tracy Bush
- Allergy Moms by Gina Clowes
- The No Nut Traveler by Lianne Mandelbaum
- FABlogCon by Jenny Sprague
- Nut Allergy Mom by Amanda West
- The Anaphylactic Allergy Podcast by Yael Walters Kozar
- Celiac and Allergy Friendly Epicurean by Jackie Ourman
- Gluten-Free Life Blog & Podcast by Jules Shepard
- Allergy Superheroes by Eileen and Dean Rhoadarmer